Minus K engineers can design a variety of custom vibration
isolation systems. Frequently these are modifications of other
designs such as changing the load capacity of an SM-1 isolator,
or the capacity, size and isolator locations on a FP-1 Platform.
Some other custom modifications and capabilities include:
- Different vertical, horizontal or tilt stiffness in an
- Different vertical, horizontal or tilt damping in an isolator
- Vacuum compatibility
- Mildly magnetic or nonmagnetic behavior
- Heavy load capacities (Six
10,000 lb isolators for NASA's James Webb Space Telescope
- Large displacements
- Large temperature variations
- Compact systems (e.g., a seven-inch cubic 1/2 Hz isolator
for a 700 lb payload; a six-inch diameter by 4-inches tall
1/2 Hz vibration isolation platform for a 3 lb payload.)
- Vertical auto-adjust feature to automatically adjust for
change in payload weight.
- Lock-unlock feature implemented manually with a switch
or automatically with signals, from a stage motion control
system, for example.